AREA Science Park
- is a national public research organization under the aegis of the Italian Ministry of University and Research
- accommodates 86 research and business organizations
- employs about 2,300 skilled persons and has 135 qualified staff and specializes in knowledge-intensive business development, innovation systems and set-up of infrastructures and international capacity building.
- has 90.000 sqm of equipped laboratories and offices and specializes in life sciences, electronics, ICTs, new materials, environmental technologies and energy
- is home to world renowned research centres such as Elettra Synchrotron Light Laboratory, ICGEB – International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (United Nations)
- is a member of well-known European and international networks, such as IASP-International Association of Science Parks, EEN-Enterprise Europe Network, EBN-European Business Network, TII – Technology Innovation International
- coordinates the activities of the 53 centres belonging to the networking initiative of the national and international research centres, universities, scientific and technological parks in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region – Coordination of Research Institutions (CER)
- measures for strategically managing and valorising research as well as for increasing industry innovation level and competitiveness
- a long-standing experience in managing national and international projects concerning innovation policies and practices, cooperative RTD, technology transfer and innovation management
- methodologies for performance, job rating and human capital valorisation, technology-intensive business development and capacity building.
AREA, in its 35 years of development, moved from real estate management to providing value-added services to a growing number of tenants to providing services and creating networks and activities with the players of the outside knowledge ecosystem: first at regional, then at national and finally at international level, involving and connecting companies, research centres, business and innovation support organisations and public administrations.
One of its main goals is the creation of a long-lasting link between research and industry together with the promotion of the innovation culture at regional, national and international level, by means of sharing and adapting its well-developed methodologies and practices.
AREA has a long standing experience of fruitful collaboration with partners from Central and Eastern Europe in the framework of EU-funded projects involving innovation stakeholders and economic operators, such as science parks, research institutions, industrial companies, education and training organizations, aiming at supporting the development of regional innovation systems, increasing business competitiveness by means of technology and know-how transfer and exchanging innovation management tools and techniques.
IASP is the worldwide network of science parks and areas of innovation, founded in 1984. With nearly 400 members in 70 countries, IASP connects professionals managing science, technology and research parks (STPs) and other areas of innovation from across the globe, and provides services that drive growth and effectiveness for members.
IASP members enhance the competitiveness of companies and entrepreneurs in their cities and regions, and contribute to global economic development through innovation, entrepreneurship, and the transfer of knowledge and technology.
The IASP is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations and a founding member of the World Alliance for Innovation (WAINOVA).
For further information about IASP, please visit www.iasp.ws.